When you think about motorcycle rallies, one word comes to mind: Sturgis. This South Dakota rally is one of the most popular and exciting motorcycle events in the United States. Sturgis Rally 2022 marks the 82nd year of the annual event. It will take place from August 5-14.
Sturgis attracts around a half million people each year from all over the world. If you’re planning on attending but live too far or don’t have the time to ride to the rally, you need to know how to get your bike to South Dakota.
Riding Your Motorcycle to Sturgis
Of course, the most common way to get your motorcycle to Sturgis is to ride it there yourself. If you live near Sturgis, gas prices are one of the only things you need to consider when it comes to your budget.
Tow a Motorcycle Camper Trailer
If you’re more than a day’s drive from Sturgis, you’ll need to take the price of a night’s stay into consideration. You can stay in a hotel or find a campground along the way. If you have a motorcycle camper trailer there are many excellent places to camp near Sturgis. If you’re in the market for a motorcycle camper trailer, here’s a handy guide:
Hiring a Motorcycle Shipping Company
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is an extremely popular rally with hundreds of thousands of attendees each year. Don’t wait until the last minute to research a motorcycle shipping company to deliver your bike. You’ll want your bike to get there safe and sound — and on time! Take your time, do your research and carefully evaluate the pros and cons of each motorcycle shipping service.
Cost of Motorcycle Shipping to Sturgis Rally 2022
A strong track record is the most important factor when hiring a transportation company but cost is also very important. The cost to ship your motorcycle to Sturgis Rally 2022 depends on several factors:
- The distance of the pick-up location from Sturgis is the most important factor. The further you live from the Black Hills the more it will cost to get the motorcycle there.
- The make, model and weight of your bike also influences the shipping price.
- The type of trailer the transporter uses affects the shipping cost .
- Open-air trailers are less expensive but leave your bike exposed to small damage from road debris. You motorcycle is also more susceptible to theft during multiple-day trips.
- If the trip will take more than a day, look for transporters that offer enclosed trailers. Your motorcycle will be hidden from view in an enclosed environment and therefore protected from scratches and weather exposure.
- The cost for enclosed trailers is greater than that of open-air trailers but is well worth it for luxury and vintage motorcycle owners.
Motorcycle Shipping to Sturgis Rally 2022 with CitizenShipper
One way to get a great deal from a reputable motorcycle transporter is using a marketplace like CitizenShipper. You’ll be connected with expert carriers and have a great deal of choice over who is shipping your bike.
When you post a motorcycle shipping job on the marketplace, include details like the bike’s make, model and year, and the pick-up and delivery address. Then you’ll receive personalized quotes from professional carriers — often within minutes! After reviewing bids you can negotiate with transporters about the details of the shipment. These include:
- Which type of trailer for your bike you prefer — the less expensive open-air trailer or an enclosed trailer.
- You can discuss when and where the bike will be dropped off.
- You’re even able to negotiate the route you’d prefer your carrier to take.
You can make your decision on which shipper to use based on your budget and the reliability of the transporter. Check CitizenShipper’s reviews from our customers on Trustpilot.
Renting or Buying a Motorcycle Trailer
Another option is renting or buying a motorcycle trailer. This is a good solution for those that have an RV they’d like to bring to the rally. It’s also a viable option for bikers who need to transport their motorcycle frequently. Plus, if you have additional space in your trailer you can sign up with CitizenShipper, connect with fellow rally-goers and make some extra cash transporting their bikes to Sturgis. As we mentioned above, you’ll need to choose between an enclosed trailer or open-air trailer.
What to Consider Before Traveling to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
A motorcycle rally is an incredibly exciting event; there’s lots of noise, unexpected adventures and of course crowds of people and bikes. Whether you plan to exhibit your bike, race your bike or simple check things out, make sure you have your motorcycle’s paperwork up to date before arriving at Sturgis Rally 2022.
- Insurance paperwork
- Any other special permits
Avoid Motorcycle Theft at the Rally
Unfortunately, every year motorcycles are stolen at the rally. Luckily there are a few steps you can take to avoid theft, including:
- Investing in a high-quality locking system, whether it’s disc locks, wheel locks or heavy cable/chain locks. Inexpensive locking systems are easily overcome by thieves.
- Avoiding parking your bike in poorly-lit locations and be aware of your surroundings — take notice if people seem to have a particular interest in your motorcycle.
- Don’t leave accessories on your motorcycle as they attract unwanted attention.
Keep an Eye on the Weather
Check the weather forecast before you hit the road to Sturgis. It’s usually pleasantly warm in Sturgis during August, and it is the best time of the year to visit the Black Hills. However, summer storms can creep up quickly, with heavy rain, wind and even hail! This can make the nights colder, so if you’re camping bring warm clothes and make sure your motorcycle camper trailer can handle heavy rain and hail.
Other Things to Do at Sturgis Rally 2022
The rally isn’t just about bikes! Every year there are musical performances by artists like Kid Rock, Nickelback and even the legendary ZZ Top. This year’s artists include Snoop Dogg, Buckcherry, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bush, Rob Zombie, Travis Tritt, Aaron Lewis, and Pop Evil performing at the Buffalo Chip in Sturgis during the rally.
Apart from going to the rides and races, you can also see motorcycles as an art exhibit. You’ll be able to check out collections of custom motorcycles from many of the world’s famous builders, as well as the photographs of bikes which will take you on a historic trip. Visit the charity events, where you can hang out with popular builders.
If you plan to rent or buy a trailer and haul your bike yourself or hire a motorcycle transporter, sign up with CitizenShipper and save money! If you’re hauling your bike and have some extra space in your trailer, you can help out a fellow biker get their ride to Sturgis and make a few bucks along the way! Or, if you need to hire a motorcycle transporter you’ll save money and have more flexibility when you book a driver through CitizenShipper.
Have a great trip to Sturgis!
Growth Marketing Manager at CitizenShipper
The rally looks really exciting!