CitizenShipper is aware that different city and state governments are actively regulating non-essential deliveries, which may have an impact on shipments. Operations, transportation, and deliveries will continue except where constrained by government restrictions.
Effective March 24, 2020, under local, state, and federal ordinance, CitizenShipper has been established as an “Essential” logistics service. All drivers have access to a letter of passage, which should be provided to local authorities in the event the driver is asked for it during the delivery process.
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, millions of Americans are “sheltered in place.” Public places and other non-essential businesses have been forced to cease operations until further notice. The delivery services of transporter using out platform will be critically important for people across the nation throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. CitizenShipper is making strenuous efforts to respond to those needs.
If you are unable or restricted from delivering an active shipment, please contact us as soon as possible at email@example.com or by calling (903) 213-5321. Please review the frequently asked questions (FAQ) section at the bottom of the page.
With the emergent impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) now invading essential parts of everyday life, including logistics supply chains across the globe, the well-being of drivers, shippers, and our employees will remain our top priority.
CitizenShipper understands that many drivers and shippers rely on this our online marketplace, which is why we will continue to support such logistical needs as best we can.
CitizenShipper is closely monitoring operations, and zealously communicating should we see any potential developments that may affect pick-up and delivery for both drivers and shippers. We are asking all shippers and drivers to make some adjustments to their typical delivery procedures to ensure public safety.
A reminder for drivers and shippers
While CitizenShipper is an online marketplace that connects shippers with transporters, we feel a duty to tell both parties who may have person-to-person contact the importance of health and safety measures. Please visit the CDC website for important safety information.
Since transporters may be in physical contact with numerous customers each day, sometimes in completely different cities and states, there is a heightened risk for both parties to pass or contract COVID-19. As a result, we recommend the following actions:
- Avoid the Customary Handshake. You may feel uneasy rejecting a handshake, but for everyone’s safety and well-being, do your best to avoid it. Healthcare professionals have repeatedly stated that handshakes are one of the easiest ways to spread the illness.
- Contactless Delivery. Shippers and/or drivers can agree to “contactless delivery” (see below). Both parties are encouraged to establish a doorstep delivery method when possible.
- Patience and Understanding. It is important to remember that this is a very trying time in the nation. Should either party face extenuating circumstances related to COVID-19, it is important to be understanding. We are all in this pandemic together.
Other important safety tips include:
- Frequent handwashing. Routine handwashing is essential to preventing transmission of the COVID-19. The CDC advises that you wash your hands with liquid antibacterial soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Another option is to use an alcohol-based sanitizer based (minimum of 60% alcohol) to adequately disinfect your hands.
- Avoid touching your face, nose, eyes, and mouth.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Properly cover your cough or sneeze. It is important to cover your cough or sneeze using the inside of your elbow. If you cough or sneeze into a tissue, immediately discard the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Disinfect all surfaces. If possible, shippers should disinfect their shipment before the driver handles it. Surfaces in the home should also be disinfected. Drivers should also clean their truck and door handles on a regular basis.
- Wear gloves when handling other people’s property. Keep in mind that wearing gloves is not a substitute for washing your hands. If you feel sick, avoid others. It is recommended that you say home and monitor your symptoms and contact a healthcare provider.
Frequently asked questions
Should drivers continue to deliver to homes?
As a transporter, please use your best judgment and pay close attention to federal, state, and local guidelines when bidding on residential shipments.
If you would prefer not to enter the pickup or delivery location, please communicate your intentions with the customer before bidding or retrieving the shipment. If you already have possession of the shipment, please verify the preferred delivery method with the client as soon as possible.
As a client, please exercise patience and understanding should a driver seek delivery alternatives. Please also let your carrier know if you prefer a contactless doorstep delivery.
What is contactless delivery?
A contactless delivery, or doorstep delivery, is accomplished by the driver delivering the items on your doorstep, porch, or at some other agreed-upon location that does not require them to enter your home or business. It eliminates any physical contact when the driver drops off your items.
When arranging contactless delivery, we ask that transporters and customers take any and all appropriate precautions under government regulations and guidelines.
What if a shipment is delayed or canceled due to COVID-19 travel restrictions?
It is ultimately the carrier’s responsibility to confirm and check regional limitation son travel or delivery prior to bidding on a shipment or picking up a shipment.
However, you will not be penalized for any cancellations related to COVID-19 restrictions. Please reach out to our steadfast support team if you run into any difficulty or restrictions while attempting to deliver the items.
What if a transporter is in possession of a shipment and travel restrictions prevent the driver from completing the delivery?
If newly enacted travel restrictions are preventing a transporter from delivering a shipment in their possession, please take the following actions:
- Contact the shipper as soon as possible to notify them that the delivery will be delayed.
- If the shipper agrees to a delayed delivery and you are able to store the shipment, please make reasonable arrangements to store the shipment until delivery is possible.
- If the shipper would like the shipment returned to them, or you are not able to reasonably store the item, please make a reasonable effort to return the shipment to the pickup location.
You will not be penalized for cancellations due to COVID-19 restrictions. Please reach out to CitizenShipper’s support team for any questions or concerns.
How is COVID-19 impacting shipments on CitizenShipper?
While the nation’s market remains uncertain, the United States is allowing business to continue for interstate carriers. CitizenShipper remains a viable source for shipments by transporters who continue to perform this essential service. CitizenShipper is dedicated to the safety of our communities, and we will continue to update this blog as state and local regulations may shift.
As always, you can contact CitizenShipper’s dedicated support team should have any questions or concerns:
We appreciate your continued use of CitizenShipper and look forward to working together.