article will discuss the dog breedscanine companion, it’s essential to be aware of different airlines’ restrictions. This article will discuss the dog breeds that are banned by United Airlines, one of the country’s most popular lines. This information will help you make informed decisions about your pet’s travel arrangements.
Understanding United’s PetSafe Program
United Airlines offers a specialized pet travel program called PetSafe, designed to provide a safe and comfortable journey for animals not eligible for in-cabin travel. However, specific breed restrictions exist for dogs traveling as cargo on United Airlines. These restrictions are in place to ensure the safety and well-being of your pet during air travel.
What Dogs Are Banned From Flying Cargo on United: Breed Restrictions
United Airlines has implemented breed restrictions primarily for brachycephalic (snub-nosed) dog breeds due to their increased risk of respiratory issues during air travel. The following dog breeds are banned from flying as cargo on United Airlines:
- American Bully
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Boston Terrier
- Boxer (all breeds)
- Brussels Griffon
- Bulldog (all breeds)
- Cane Corso
- Dogo Argentino
- English Toy Spaniel
- Japanese Chin
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all breeds)
- Pit Bull
- Presa Canario
- Pug (all breeds)
- Shih Tzu
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Tibetan Spaniel
This list is subject to change, so it’s crucial to consult United Airlines’ pet policy before booking your flight.
Alternative Flight Options
If your dog is among the breeds banned from flying cargo on United Airlines, you may want to explore alternative transportation options. One option is to choose a different airline that allows your dog’s breed to travel, such as JetBlue or Alaska Airlines.
Another alternative is to use a pet transportation service like CitizenShipper. This service connects pet owners with experienced pet transporters who can safely and comfortably transport your pet by ground.
Ship anything safely, from pets to cars, motorcycles, furniture and much more with trusted drivers.We’ll keep your email safe & you can unsubscribe any time.
Preparing Your Dog for Air Travel on United Airlines
If your dog is not among the breeds banned from flying cargo on United Airlines, it is essential to adequately prepare your pet for air travel. Here are some steps you can take to ensure a smooth and comfortable journey for your dog:
- Visit your veterinarian: Schedule a check-up with your veterinarian to confirm your dog’s health and ensure they have the required vaccinations and health certificates for your destination.
- Choose an appropriate pet carrier: Invest in a high-quality, airline-approved pet carrier that meets United Airlines’ size requirements. The carrier should be large enough for your dog to stand, turn around, and lie comfortably.
- Familiarize your dog with the carrier: Encourage them to spend time in their carrier before the trip, making them comfortable with it. Place a familiar item, such as a toy or blanket, inside the carrier to help your dog feel more at ease.
- Maintain a consistent routine: As much as possible, keep your dog’s feeding and sleeping schedule consistent in the days leading up to your trip. This will help minimize disruption and stress during travel.
- Exercise your dog before departure: Help your dog expend energy before your flight by engaging them in a play session or taking them for a walk. A tired dog is less likely to experience anxiety during travel.
By following these steps, you can ensure a smooth and comfortable journey for your dog when traveling on United Airlines.
Tips for Picking the Right Airline for Your Dog’s Travel Needs
When deciding on an airline for your dog’s travel, it’s essential to consider various factors to ensure their safety and comfort during the journey. Here are some tips for selecting the right airline for your pet:
- Research airline pet policies: Familiarize yourself with the pet policies of different airlines, including breed restrictions, fees, and carrier requirements. This will help you determine which airline best accommodates your dog’s needs.
- Consider your dog’s size and breed: Some airlines may have more lenient restrictions regarding pet size and breed, while others might have stricter rules. Choose an airline that is best suited for your dog’s specific requirements.
- Investigate layovers and travel time: Lengthy layovers and extended travel times can be stressful for your pet. Look for airlines with direct flights or shorter layovers to minimize travel time and ensure your dog’s comfort.
- Consult online reviews and forums: Research other pet owners’ experiences with different airlines to understand how well each airline handles pet travel.
- Look for pet-friendly amenities: Some airlines offer pet-friendly services and amenities, such as dedicated pet relief areas and onboard pet kits. These added features can make your dog’s journey more comfortable.
Frequently Asked Questions About Banned Breeds on United Airlines
Are Cats and Other Pets Also Subject To Breed Restrictions on United Airlines?
What Is the Reason Behind United Airlines Enforcing Breed Restrictions?
Can I Fly With My Dog if They’re a Banned Breed?
How Do I Check To See if My Dog’s Breed Is Banned From Flying Cargo on United?
Are Service Animals Subject To Breed Restrictions?
Understanding what breeds are banned from traveling in Cargo on United is vital when planning air travel with your furry friend. If your dog is among the restricted breeds, consider alternative travel options such as a different airline or a pet transportation service to ensure your pet’s safety and well-being during their journey.
Rochdi Rais is a senior editor and author at CitizenShipper. He has been a senior editor for ParadiseMedia, USA Herald, and more. He also loves writing about himself in 3rd person.