When you move homes, buy a new dog or go on a long vacation, you may want to consider hiring someone to transport your dog. Pets are like family members, and dog shipping is in vogue these days. Companies that specialize in transporting your pet dog need you to be prepared for the trip so that you don’t face issues along the way.
Vaccines and Tests
Do not forget to administer any required vaccinations or shots. If you need to conduct any tests, do that well in advance. Also, keep documentation handy that will act as proof of the vaccination, so that you or the transporter don’t need to search for it at the last minute.
Buy an IATA-Approved Dog Carrier
Dog shipping requires the dog to be kept inside an IATA-approved shipping crate. There are many styles and materials used for dog carriers so shop around the find the right fit for your pet.
- If you think that you will need to use the crate in the future, make sure that you spend a little extra and buy a crate that is unbreakable and suitable for the size of your dog.
- You should know your dog’s measurements when you make the purchase.
- Take your time to compare the different crates.
- It’s important that your dog is comfortable with the crate. The more comfortable and relaxed the dog, the smoother the trip will go.
- The crate needs to have doors that open and close easily, allowing easy entrance and exit.
- If at all possible, you could also plan your purchase at a time when the company announces discounts, even though the time at which the actual purchase is done is much before the shipping date.
- Make room for sufficient ventilation.
If transporting your dog by air, you will have to call the airline that you have chosen and check with them regarding the crate specifications that are allowed.
- Generally, the airlines will request you to house your dog in a strong crate.
- They will also place emphasis on crates for larger dogs, since smaller dogs can be easily accommodated in the airline’s cabin.
- As an alternative, they can also be kept away from co-passengers.
Get Your Dog Comfortable with the Crate
After purchasing the crate, one important part of preparing your dog for the trip is to accustom your dog to its new surroundings. This may take some weeks and so it’s important that you plan everything well in advance. While this is in progress, you have to plan your travel in such a manner that the airline is not carrying too many animals during those dates on board, as airlines have some maximum number of pets that they can carry. Also, make sure that you are not in a hurry on the date of travel. You will need more time at the airport for dog shipping purposes and for assisting your dog in preparing himself for the journey. However, you do not need more time, if you are planning to keep the dog with you.
CitizenShipper is a two-sided marketplace for hard-to-ship items such as dogs, cats, motorcycles, boats, cars, and more. CitizenShipper puts you in touch with experienced, background-verified, and user-rated transporters. A quality experience — quick, safe, and affordable!