Pet shipping is an essential part of life in today’s world. We are constantly moving from one place to the next because of new job opportunities, family matters and other reasons. Federal Express (or FedEx) has made a name for itself as one of the top shipping companies in the United States. So, you may wonder if there’s a FedEx pet shipping service and whether other shipping companies like Amazon, UPS or even the United States Postal Service can ship pets.
Before we delve into that, there are also various other options for pet transport — flying your pet, transporting via train, or driving them (either yourself or with a ground transportation company). We’ll explore each option.
Let’s tackle everything you need to know about FedEx pet shipping. We’ll also let you in on a little secret.
FedEx Pet Shipping, does it exist?
So, what’s the secret? (Spoiler alert!) FedEx doesn’t handle pet shipping. The official FedEx terms and conditions unequivocally prohibit live animals, including pets like cats, dogs, birds, and hamsters. Like Randy Jackson from American Idol said, “It’s gonna be a no from me, dawg.”
The good news is that if you have other animals that aren’t pets, such as livestock for setting up an animal business, FedEx will accept them.
What Kind of Animals Does FedEx ship?
According to the FedEx terms and conditions, the shipping company will accept “certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only).” They will also accept “non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/ tropical fish and beneficial insects” from pet stores or breeders to other pet stores and breeders.
Is UPS an alternative to Fedex for pet shipping?
Unfortunately, UPS is just like FedEx with pet shipping; they don’t offer it. However, just like FedEx, they will transport other animals if they’re going from a zoo to another zoo, or a pet store or breeder to another pet store or breeder. The list of accepted and prohibited animals that UPS will ship is here. And in case you’re wondering about Amazon, they will accept live animal shipping, but only from business to business. Unfortunately, they won’t allow pet shipping.
Is USPS an alternative to Fedex for pet shipping?
I know what you may be thinking: the United States Postal Service is a government agency. They definitely should accept pets for transport. Regrettably, that’s not the case. The USPS doesn’t do pet shipping. However, they do take other animals. Just like FedEx and UPS, they will only accept from pet stores, breeders, and zoos to other pet stores, breeders, and zoos. You can review the USPS requirements and regulations on animal shipping and transportation fees here.
Since There’s No FedEx Pet Shipping, What Other Options Are There?
FedEx pet shipping is nonexistent, and other options like at UPS and USPS also don’t offer pet shipping. What then should you do? What options do you have to transport your pet? Let’s take a look at some.
Option 1: Air Travel
Air travel could be the fastest way to transport a pet, but it can be logistically challenging. Smaller pets have the advantage because of their size. They can ride in the cabin with their owners since they can fit under the seat. Make sure you call in advance because airlines will only allow one or two pets per flight inside the cabin.
Your pet’s carrier — a cost roughly running from $25 to $75 — should be small enough that your dog can fit inside and underneath the seat in front of you. The total one-way amount for airlines like United, Delta, and American sits at $125. That isn’t much, but the costs increase substantially if you have a larger pet.
Larger pets must go in the cargo hold. These special crates cost an estimated $100-$200, and the cost of transporting your pet in the cargo hold can range from $500-$1000. The exact costs are determined at the time of booking.
Hiring an air nanny for your pet is possible. It’s a very common way to transport pets long-distance. Air/flight nanny jobs recently exploded in popularity because of a viral TikTok video.
You’ll have to buy a roundtrip ticket for the nanny, but the great news is that sometimes air nannies can waive the pet fees, which can reduce what you have to pay for this service. The air nanny can transport your pet in the cabin or cargo hold.
Option 2: Train Travel
Train travel is another option for transporting your pet. Amtrak allows dog transportation, but there are several requirements and costs. Here they are:
- Only one pet per passenger.
- The trip cannot last more than seven hours.
- Your pet must be more than eight weeks old and weigh less than 20 pounds.
- Your pet must be under your seat at all times inside a carrier.
Train travel is an affordable option, costing only $25. That’s almost nothing. However, this option is only possible if you have small pets.
Option 3: Automobile Travel
This method of transportation is definitely the easiest because there are no requirements besides the documentation needed when you arrive at your destination. However, it can be overwhelming to plan the logistics and the multiple variables involved with this option.
Let’s consider the variables: driving cross-country and from one state away. The table below shows you a breakdown of costs with the different factors involved.
These variables include one other person accompanying you because sometimes you need to take a break from driving. Let’s face it, one person driving hundreds of miles can be exhausting. These factors also differ depending on what state you are coming from.
Option 4: Traditional Transport Service
A traditional transport service is another option to consider. Several factors will determine the cost: distance, pet size/breeds and equipment needs. There can also be specific requirements. Some transport services may not allow certain breeds. They may not take certain pets or will be more expensive for the types of pets they take.
Traditional Transport Service Tips and Advice
- The best pet transport service is one where an animal handler will always be with them, and there aren’t other pets.
- All pet transport services must adhere to the USDA’s rules and regulations in pet handling.
- Communication is essential for your pet’s safety and your peace of mind. If the pet ground transport company provides regular updates, that’s a good sign.
- Some pet transport companies offer door-to-door delivery. That’s a great way to relieve the stress of dropping off or picking up your pet.
- Excellent customer service means that the pet transport company will take care of your pet as if it were their own. Pay attention to the small details and how they go about their customer service duties.
Why CitizenShipper is the Best Alternative to Fedex?
There are a variety of modes to transport pets — from flying, train travel, driving yourself or using a traditional pet transporter. After looking at all the options, you should consider listing a shipment on CitizenShipper’s innovative pet transport marketplace! Our platform offers many advantages over traditional pet transporters.
- Once you post a listing on our site, a fleet of background-checked and USDA-registered drivers will send you quotes instantly, usually within minutes.
- You can compare bids and chat with several drivers across our network, and once you choose the driver you like the best, you’re ready to book your trip.
- Payment is received either before or after delivery, which the driver usually decides.
- There’s a modest fee that we charge that varies per mileage, which accounts for our vetting process.
- We also have air nannies on our marketplace, which can make things a lot easier and affordable for flying with a dog.
We pride ourselves in making pet shipping run safely, seamlessly and stress-free. Your beloved pet will be in good hands with our qualified drivers, who provide frequent updates along the journey.
Because drivers compete for your business, we can save you up to 60-70% compared to traditional shipping companies! CitizenShipper also provides some added benefits for you so you’re even calmer — up to $1000 pet protection guarantee and 24/7 TeleVet access through our partner FirstVet. And the best part? There are no hidden fees! It really is that easy!
Product Recommendations When Shipping a Pet
Pet transportation is something that needs to be planned out. There’s a list of musts for that journey. The next question that might come to mind is what products should you buy?
You can always go online and do some research, but let’s take a look at some essential must haves that can come in handy for the long journey.
Airline Approved Pet Travel Bag
- It’s durable and safe, as well as water repellent.
- It’s multi-functional with lots of storage, which is essential for travel.
- It can conveniently carry food, water, leashes, and other essential items for your pets.
Airline Approved 4-Side Pet Carrier
- This travel carrier meets all airline requirements, which is perfect for traveling.
- It’s washable and easy to clean, which can be a lifesaver for accidents!
- It has mesh windows that provide comfort for your pet during long travel days.
- The bowls are durable and safe for your pet to drink from.
- The bowls are portable and collapsible, which is easy to transport.
- They are easy to clean, an essential part of pet water bowls.
- The belt strap thinks of your pet’s safety first, with a durable leash essential for long journeys.
- It’s tangle free and convenient, as well as easy to use.
- It’s length is adjustable, depending on the size of your pet.
Calming Pheromone Spray for Cats
- It’s a calling formula spray that can calm your cat in any high-stress situation.
- It’s safe to use and will prevent your cat from clawing back, peeing, and being stressed.
- Reduces stress effectively within seven days.
Dog Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers
- High quality material that won’t get destroyed by aggressive chewers.
- It will satisfy your pet’s stress or anxiety.
- It has a creative design, perfect for your pets to chew where they’d like to.
Wrapping it Up; no need to worry about Fedex Pet Shipping!
FedEx doesn’t transport pets, although they do transport live animals from business to business. The same goes for UPS, Amazon, and the United States Postal Service.
So, what are your options? You’ll need to find pet transport companies. There are other methods for pet transportation, like going via plane, train and automobile. The type of transportation you’ll go with has a massive effect on your pet, which means you should choose wisely.
The best alternative is booking a driver through CitizenShipper. Our drivers understand what your beloved pet means to you and will ensure proper, loving care for your pet during the ride. When you trust drivers on CitizenShipper to transport your pet, you will have peace of mind and comfort knowing your cherished pet is in the absolute best of hands.
Transporting your dog long-distance doesn’t have to be overwhelming or stressful. You can have peace of mind with CitizenShipper. Create a listing for pet transportation now — you’ll get free quotes from experienced transporters in minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Patrick Macfarland has been a teacher, a candidate for public office, and a local tour guide. But now he dedicates his time writing full-time, currently at CitizenShipper and VeraContent.