Are you planning to move your lovable pup and looking for a reliable pet transport service? Whether you’re traveling across the country or just a few towns away, you want to make sure your pup is in good hands.
There’s a lot of research that goes into ensuring you find the best pet transport company that is best for you and your doggo. You can’t just go with the cheapest option. Reading reviews and looking at Facebook or social media groups will help in making your decision.
To help you find the best pet transport company for your needs, this guide will walk you through various considerations such as cost, safety, customer reviews, and more.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Pet Transportation Company
When it comes to choosing a pet transport company, there are several factors to consider. Let’s take a look at each of them.
The cost of pet transportation services will vary by company. Generally, the cost will depend on the distance of the trip, the size of the pet, the type of vehicle used, the number of stops along the way and other factors. Research the costs of various companies and compare them to find the best deal.
The safety of your pup should always be the top priority. Research the safety protocols of the company, such as whether they provide temperature-controlled vehicles or lockable crates to keep your pup secure. Also, ask if the pet transport company offers GPS tracking so you can keep an eye on your pup throughout their journey.
Check online reviews to see what other customers have to say about the pet transport company. Reviews can provide valuable insight into the quality of the service, how well the drivers treat their passengers and more. You can also join Facebook and other social media groups and pose questions to learn more about the particular companies you are looking into. It’s best to look for a pet shipping company with mostly positive reviews from satisfied customers.
Ask the pet transport company about the services that offer what you need. Are they open to accommodating special requests? Do they provide international pet transport? Do they provide air transportation or do they just offer ground transportation? Can they pick up or drop off your pup at a location of your choice? Do they offer door-to-door service? Make sure the company can meet your needs before booking.
Additional Questions to Ask
When talking to the company, ask any additional questions you may have. Find out how long they’ve been in business, how they screen their drivers, what type of insurance they carry, and more. Make sure you feel comfortable with the answers they provide.
Look Out For Fake Shipping Companies
Fake shipping companies, whether claiming to provide ground transportation or otherwise, operate in a certain way. Here’s what you can look after so that you don’t fall victim to a scam.
- Fake pet shipping companies copy the websites of legitimate businesses.
- They claim to ship your pet for a low price but as soon as you pay upfront, they stop all communication.
- Some scammers may even pick up your pet but never deliver it to its proper destination, which can be a horrendous and heartbreaking loss for you.
- They request additional payments or “fees” during the transport process.
- They have unrealistic low pricing.
Quality Pet Transport Services
The best pet transportation services and one that follows the Department of Agriculture’s regulations is one that is registered with the USDA. They follow the law and will treat your pet like one of their own.
By visiting the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association, also called IPATA, you can see various posts about trusted pet transportation companies (and warn you about fake shipping companies), read articles about pet travel, information about air transport, ground transport, animal transportation options and answers to frequently asked questions.
Good qualities of pet shipping services include:
- They advertise all cat and dog breeds and animals they allow, so you are not fooled during the process. It’s also essential they give you the prices upfront.
- The pet relocation service is always with your pet, and they are the only pet during the journey. Though if you have multiple pets, they can go together.
- They offer door-to-door delivery instead of having you drop off your pet and pick them up in another location. This will also relieve stress for you and your pet.
- They communicate well with you at every step and provide regular updates during the journey.
- They have excellent customer service. They pay attention to detail and ensure proper, loving care for your pet throughout the process.
Finding the best pet transport services for your needs can help provide peace of mind and ensure your pup’s safety. When researching companies, make sure to consider factors such as cost, safety, customer reviews, and services — air and ground — offered. Ask the company any additional questions you may have before booking. With the right research and due diligence, you can find a reliable pet transport company for your pup.
Patrick Macfarland has been a teacher, a candidate for public office, and a local tour guide. But now he dedicates his time writing full-time, currently at CitizenShipper and VeraContent.