Are you moving to another state and worried about how to transport your car? Or do you want to buy a car from a seller in another state and need to figure out the cost to ship a car to another state? Whatever your situation may be, shipping a car to another state can be costly, and it’s important to be aware of all the factors that affect the cost of car shipping.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through all the factors that influence the cost of car shipping and provide some tips to help you save money on your car shipping expenses.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Car Shipping
Several factors can affect the cost of your car shipping, including:
- Distance: The further the distance, the higher the cost of car shipping.
- Type of transport: The type of transport you choose will also affect the cost of shipping. Enclosed transport tends to be more expensive than open transport as it provides extra protection to your vehicle from the elements.
- Time of the year: The price of car shipping can fluctuate depending on the season. The peak season (summer) can be more expensive than the off-peak season (winter or fall).
- Size of your car: The size and weight of your car play a role in determining the cost, as larger and heavier cars require more space and equipment.
- Additional services: If you require any additional services, such as expedited delivery or door-to-door transport, these can also add to the cost.
Now that you’re aware of the factors that influence the cost of car shipping, let’s break down the cost range:
The Cost Range of Shipping a Car to Another State
Still, wondering how much to ship a car? Shipping prices vary depending on the above factors. Here’s a breakdown of the average cost range for different types of car shipping:
- Open transport: The most popular and affordable option is open transport, where your car will be transported on a trailer with other cars. The cost for open transport typically ranges from $600-$1,000.
- Enclosed transport: This option provides extra protection to your car, as it will be transported in an enclosed trailer. It’s a good choice for luxury, vintage, or classic cars. The cost of enclosed transport can range from $1,000-$1,500.
- Door-to-door transport: This option is convenient as the transporter will pick up your car from your home and drop it off at your new address. The cost of door-to-door transport can range from $750-$1,200.
- Expedited delivery: If you need your car transported urgently, expedited delivery is the option for you. However, it can cost two to three times more than regular transport.
Tips to Save Money on Car Shipping
If you’re looking to save money on car shipping, here are some tips that could help you:
Ship anything safely, from pets to cars, motorcycles, furniture and much more with trusted drivers.We’ll keep your email safe & you can unsubscribe any time.
- Plan ahead: Book your transport early on, as this will give you more time to shop around for the best deal.
- Choose open transport: Open transport is the most affordable option for car shipping, so if you can go for this option, do it.
- Ship off-season: As mentioned earlier, peak season can be more expensive than an off-peak season, so consider shipping your car in winter or fall.
- Be flexible: If you’re willing to be flexible with your pickup and delivery dates, you may be able to negotiate a better rate.
- Compare quotes: Always compare quotes from multiple companies before choosing one. Make sure to check for hidden fees in the quoted prices.
Insurance and Liability During Car Shipping
When shipping your car to another state, it’s important to ensure that it’s properly insured and protected throughout the transport process. Here are some aspects to consider:
- Carrier’s Insurance: Reputable car shipping companies should have cargo insurance to cover any potential damage during transit. Always request a copy of the insurance certificate and verify its validity.
- Personal Auto Insurance: Your personal auto insurance may provide some coverage during transport. Contact your insurance company to determine the extent of coverage, and if necessary, consider purchasing additional coverage.
- Inspect Your Car: Before handing your car over to the shipping company, inspect it thoroughly and document its condition. This will help in case of any damage claims upon delivery.
- Liability: Understand the transporter’s liability policy, including their deductible and any exclusions. Ensure you’re comfortable with the level of protection offered before signing any agreements.
Choosing a Reliable Car Shipping Company
Selecting the right car shipping company is crucial for a smooth and hassle-free experience. Follow these tips to find a trustworthy transporter:
- Research: Research various car shipping companies and read customer reviews to gauge their reputation and reliability.
- Compare Quotes: Request quotes from multiple companies and compare their prices, services, and terms.
- Verify Credentials: Ensure the transporter has the necessary licenses and registrations, such as a USDOT number and an MC number from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Check Insurance: As mentioned earlier, verify the company’s insurance coverage and understand their liability policy.
- Ask for References: Reputable companies should be willing to provide references from previous customers. Speak to these references to get an idea of the company’s service quality.
By thoroughly researching and vetting potential car shipping companies, you can find a reliable transporter that will ensure your vehicle’s safe and timely delivery.
How much does it cost to ship a car to another state?
The cost varies depending on factors like distance, transport type, season, car size, and additional services. Open transport typically ranges from $600-$1,000, while enclosed transport costs between $1,000-$1,500.
Is It cheaper to ship a car or drive it to another state?
Shipping a car may be more cost-effective, depending on fuel prices, car depreciation, and wear and tear factors. Additionally, shipping saves time and reduces the risk of accidents during long drives.
How long does it take to ship a car to another state?
Shipping times vary depending on distance and other factors, but a typical range is 1-10 days. Keep in mind that expedited shipping is available for an additional cost if you need your car transported faster.
Can I pack personal items in my car when shipping it?
Some transport companies may allow a limited amount of personal belongings, but it’s best to check with the specific company you’re working with. Keep in mind that any items in your car will not be insured during transport.
Shipping a car to another state can be daunting, and it’s important to research to ensure you get the best deal. Understanding the factors that influence car shipping costs and implementing cost-saving measures can help you save money.
At CitizenShipper, we understand the importance of cost-effective car shipping, and we strive to offer our customers the best rates without compromising on quality. With our network of trusted and reliable transporters, you can be sure that your car will be in safe hands.
So, if you’re looking to ship your car to another state, get in touch with us today and let us take care of all your car shipping needs.
Rochdi Rais is a senior editor and author at CitizenShipper. He has been a senior editor for ParadiseMedia, USA Herald, and more. He also loves writing about himself in 3rd person.