If you want to ship a car to another state, you may wonder whether selling your car and buying a new one or taking your existing one is better. While both options have their pros and cons, shipping a car to another state can be the better choice. It saves you money and time, and you can keep your beloved car that you know and trust.
However, shipping a car to another state is not something to be taken lightly. It’s a significant investment, and you want to make sure that your car arrives at its destination safely and on time. Therefore, you need to research and pick a reputable car shipping company you can trust.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about how to ship a car to another state. We’ll explain the different car shipping options, how to choose a reliable car shipping company, and what to do before and after the shipment.
Car Shipping Options
First, let’s look at the different car shipping options available to you. There are two main options: open car carriers and enclosed car carriers.
Open Car Carriers
Open car carriers are the most common type of car carrier. They have an open top and sides, allowing several cars to be transported at once. They are also the most affordable option, making them popular for long-distance car shipping.
However, open car carriers expose your car to the elements during transport, such as dust, dirt, and weather changes. While car carriers are required to have insurance, there is still a risk that your car may be damaged during transport.
Ship anything safely, from pets to cars, motorcycles, furniture and much more with trusted drivers.We’ll keep your email safe & you can unsubscribe any time.
Enclosed Car Carriers
Enclosed car carriers are the other option. They have sides and a roof that enclose the car, protecting it from the elements. They are more expensive than open car carriers but provide additional protection for your vehicle.
Enclosed car carriers are better for high-end or classic cars, as they require extra care and attention during transport. They are also a good choice for people who want complete peace of mind during the car shipping process.
How to Choose a Car Shipping Company
Once you’ve decided on the type of car carrier you want, it’s time to choose a car shipping company. Here are some factors to consider when making your choice:
Experience: Look for a company that has been in business for several years and has a track record of successful car shipments.
Insurance: Choose a company with proper insurance covering your car during transport. Ask for proof of insurance before hiring them.
Reviews: Check online reviews and ratings to get an idea of the company’s reputation and customer service.
Price: Get quotes from several car shipping companies and compare them. However, don’t choose the cheapest option, as it may not be the most reliable.
Customer service: Choose a company that has good customer service and is easy to communicate with. You want to be able to ask questions and get updates during the shipment.
Before the Shipment
Before the shipment, there are several things you need to do to ensure a smooth and successful car shipping process:
Clean your car: Give your car a good wash and remove anything that could be damaged during transport, such as loose parts or accessories.
Take photos: Take photos of your car from all angles, inside and out. This will help you document any damage that may occur during transport.
Remove personal items: Make sure to remove any personal items from your car, as they are not covered by insurance.
Disable the alarm: Disable your car’s alarm to avoid any unnecessary complications during transport.
After the Shipment
After the shipment, make sure to:
Inspect the car: Thoroughly inspect your car for any damage that may have occurred during transport. Compare the current state of your vehicle with the photos you took before the shipment.
Take photos: Take photos of any damages that occurred during transport and document them.
Notify the company: Contact the car shipping company as soon as possible if you find any damage. They should have a claims process in place to compensate you.
The Costs Involved in Shipping a Car to Another State
You’re probably wondering how much to ship a car from one state to another. If that’s the case,keep in mind that various factors can affect the overall price, including:
- Distance: The longer the distance, the higher the cost of shipping your car.
- Type of carrier: Enclosed carriers are more expensive than open carriers due to the added protection they provide.
- Vehicle size and weight: Larger and heavier vehicles usually cost more to ship than smaller and lighter ones, as they require more space and resources.
- Pickup and delivery location: If the pickup and delivery locations are in remote or hard-to-reach areas, the cost may be higher due to the additional time and effort required.
- Time of year: Demand for car shipping services fluctuates throughout the year, affecting pricing. Summer tends to be busier and more expensive, while winter may be cheaper.
- Expedited shipping: If you need your car shipped urgently, you may have to pay extra for expedited shipping services.
Request quotes from multiple car shipping companies and compare their prices and services to get an accurate estimate.
Common Car Shipping Mistakes to Avoid
When shipping a car to another state, avoid these common mistakes to ensure a smooth and successful experience:
- Not researching the company: Failing to research the car shipping company’s reputation, experience, and insurance coverage can lead to hiring an unreliable or unprofessional service.
- Choosing the cheapest option: While price is essential, don’t let it be the only deciding factor. A low price may be a red flag for poor service or hidden fees.
- Failing to prepare your car: Not preparing your car for shipping can lead to unnecessary complications and potential damage during transport.
- Not inspecting your car: Skipping the inspection process before and after shipping can make it difficult to identify and claim damages that may have occurred during transport.
- Not providing accurate information: Providing inaccurate information about your car or shipping requirements can lead to delays, additional fees, or complications during transport.
By avoiding these mistakes and following the guidelines discussed in this article, you can ensure a seamless car shipping experience. Trust CitizenShipper to help you confidently and easily ship your car to another state.
What Are the Main Types of Car Shipping Carriers?
The two main types of car shipping carriers are open car carriers and enclosed car carriers, each offering different levels of protection for your vehicle during transport.
How Do I Choose a Car Shipping Company?
Consider factors such as experience, insurance, reviews, price, and customer service when choosing a car shipping company to ensure a reliable and secure transport experience.
How Should I Prepare My Car for Shipping?
Clean your car, take photos of its condition, remove personal items and loose parts, and disable the alarm to prepare your car for shipping.
What Should I Do After My Car Has Been Shipped?
Inspect your car thoroughly for any damage, take photos of any issues, and notify the car shipping company if you find any damage to initiate the claims process.
Shipping a car to another state is a big decision, but it can be a straightforward process with the right planning and preparation. Remember to choose a reputable car shipping company, prepare your car before the shipment, and inspect it thoroughly after the shipment.
At CitizenShipper, we provide a reliable car shipping service that you can trust. Our experienced drivers and modern car carrier fleet ensure that your car arrives at its destination safely and on time. Contact us today to learn more about our car shipping options.
Rochdi Rais is a senior editor and author at CitizenShipper. He has been a senior editor for ParadiseMedia, USA Herald, and more. He also loves writing about himself in 3rd person.