Transporting domestic animals can be a challenging task for pet owners, especially when it comes to choosing the best mode of transportation. In this guide, we’ll explore everything you need to know about transporting your domestic animals safely and comfortably.
Is it Safe to Transport Domestic Animals?
The safety of transporting domestic animals depends on several factors. These factors include the mode of transportation, the duration of the journey and the health of the animal. Before transporting your animal, schedule a visit with your veterinarian to ensure that your animal is healthy enough for travel. Your veterinarian can also provide you with advice on the best way to transport your animal and may recommend techniques to calm your animal during travel.
When it comes to pet transportation options, there are two modes for domestic animal transport: air and land transport. Each mode has its advantages and disadvantages — it’s essential to consider your animal’s needs and requirements.
Air transport is a popular option for domestic animal transport, particularly for long-distance travel. It’s commonly used for transporting dogs and cats, but it’s also possible to ship other domestic animals in cargo. Most airlines like American and Hawaiian have policies in place for transporting animals. Depending on the size and species of the animal, you can transport it in the cabin, check it as luggage or use cargo service.
Pros of Cabin Travel
- Transporting your pet in the cabin is the safest option and the least stressful approach for animals.
- You can keep an eye on your animal and provide reassurance throughout the journey.
- Cabin tickets for pets are usually fairly inexpensive.
Cons of Cabin Travel
- Unfortunately, only small breeds of dogs and cats are allowed in the cabin.
- You will have to pay for your own ticket or a round trip ticket for an air nanny.
- You can’t transport an animal alone in the cabin of an airplane.
Pros of Checkinga Domestic Animal as Luggage
- Checking a pet can be quite expensive.
- The special pet area is climate controlled and pressure-regulated.
Cons of Checking a Domestic Animal as Luggage
- Only a few airlines like Hawaiian and Alaska Airlines allow you to check your pet as luggage, limiting your choices.
- The temperate cannot be too hot or too cold or the airline will cancel your pet’s ticket.
- There’s no way to keep an eye on the pet during the flight.
Pros of Shipping a Domestic Animal in Cargo
- Some airlines also offer animal-specific cargo services, which may be a better option for animals that require special handling or medical attention.
Cons of Shipping a Domestic Animal in Cargo
- Not all airlines have a good track record for transporting animals safely.
Ground transportation is another option for domestic animal transport, particularly for short to medium distances. There are several options for land transport, including car, bus, train and even pet taxis.
If you’re transporting your animal by car, secure it in a pet carrier or harness to prevent injury during sudden stops or accidents. Take regular breaks during the journey to allow your animal to stretch their legs and use the bathroom.
If you’re transporting your animal by bus or train, check the policies of the transport provider before booking your journey. Some transport providers may require that your animal is secured in a pet carrier, while others have specific rules regarding animal behavior.
Best Animal Transportation Services
If you’re looking for a reliable and safe pet transport service, one of the best options is CitizenShipper’s top rated pet transportation marketplace. CitizenShipper facilitates a connection between pet owners with experienced and verified animal transporters.
CitizenShipper provides real-time tracking of your animal’s journey, allowing you to monitor their progress and stay informed of any delays or issues. The platform also offers 24/7 customer support, ensuring that you can get assistance whenever you need it.
Transporting domestic animals can be a safe and comfortable experience with the right preparation and precautions. Remember, proper preparation is the key to ensuring your animal’s safety and comfort during transportation. Take the time to research and plan your animal’s journey: you’ll ensure they’re transported safely and comfortably.
Transporting domestic animals can be a challenging task, but it doesn’t have to be. By taking the time to research and plan your journey, choosing the right transportation service and preparing your animal for the journey, you’ll ensure your furry friend is transported safely and comfortably.
Patrick Macfarland has been a teacher, a candidate for public office, and a local tour guide. But now he dedicates his time writing full-time, currently at CitizenShipper and VeraContent.